Corn is one of the most versatile ingredients there is. There are so many recipes that make use of this nutritious and delicious vegetable. These days many people prefer to use canned corn instead of fresh corn because it saves time, it requires less effort and it means less mess in the kitchen. But of course not all recipes work well with canned corn. Here are some must-try, great tasting canned corn recipes.
One American favorite recipe where you can use canned corn is the shepherds pie. It is easy, quick to prepare and a sure hit at any family feast.
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can corn
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Saute garlic and onion in Olive oil
- Add the beef and cook until brown
- Season with salt and pepper
- Put in a 9X13 pan
- Drain and pour the corn over the beef
- Cover the whole thing with mashed potatoes
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes
Here is a healthy and sumptuous tuna meal using canned corn. This is best served with steamed rice or a nice crusty bread.
- 1 can of corn (drained)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 can cream
- 4 tsp cornflour
- 1 large can tuna in brine (drained)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in butter until brown. Season this with curry powder
- Add tuna and corn. Cook for 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl make a runny paste with equal amounts of cornflour and cream
- Pour the remaining cream into the thickened mixture
- Add this to the saucepan
- Continue stirring as you pour
- Add the cheese and melt it through
- Serve with steamed rice
Another American favorite snack or side dish is the corn pudding. It is so easy to make. You just mix everything in and bake them in any shape you want. The kids will surely love them.
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can creamed corn
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 box of corn muffin mix
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a mixing bowl
- Mix all ingredients together except for the corn muffin mix which comes in last
- Pour mixture into your favorite baking pan
- Leave uncovered, bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees
Corn Chowder Soup
Here is a hearty soup that really hits the spot. Serve this to your loved ones on a cold day to warm their tummy and get closer to their heart.
- 2 cans creamed corn
- 1 can corn niblets
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 potatoes (peeled and dice)
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- Sauté garlic and onions in butter
- Drop the potatoes
- Pour in three cups water. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes well
- Add the corn and the milk
- Flavor with salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil.
Everyone will surely like this dish. It’s like serving healthier burger patties with a crunch.
- 1 can corn
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- Sift flour and salt into bowl
- Add egg, milk and drained corn. Mix well.
- Heat canola oil in a frying pan.
- Pour in a tablespoon of the mixture at a time and fry it in the pan
- Turn the patty over after one minute
- Drain out oil and serve
Canned corn can be very handy in the kitchen especially during seasons when fresh corn is not easy to find. They are available in the stores anytime of the year. Try out these great tasting recipes using canned corn. Who knows? You just might find it tasty like never before.